Discover the power of Elden Ring spears and learn how to maximize their potential with this in-depth guide tailored for beginners!
In this article, we’ll dive deep into the world of Elden Ring spears, providing you with detailed information, strategies, and tips to help you conquer the game as a tech noob. From understanding the basics to exploring the best spear options, this comprehensive guide will cover everything you need to know about spears in Elden Ring.
Elden Ring Spears
Elden Ring is an action role-playing game developed by FromSoftware, and as with its predecessors, the game features a wide variety of weapons for players to choose from. One such weapon class is the spear, which offers unique playstyles and strategies for players who prefer long-range combat with thrusting attacks.
To understand the basics of Elden Ring spears, we’ll cover the key attributes and factors that influence their effectiveness, such as damage type, attribute scaling, and weapon weight.
Types of Spears and Their Characteristics
Elden Ring features several types of spears, each with its unique characteristics, movesets, and advantages. Some notable spears in the game include:
- Standard Spear: A versatile and balanced option, suitable for beginners.
- Pike: Offers longer reach and quicker attacks than most great spears.
- Great Epee: Not technically a spear but a giant two-handed thrusting sword with a similar playstyle.
- Serpent Hunter Greatspear: A strength-focused spear with powerful attacks.
- Cross Naginata: A hybrid spear and polearm weapon with a slashing attack.
Each spear has its specific damage type, such as thrust, slash, or strike, which can affect the weapon’s effectiveness against different enemy types.
Spears and Attribute Scaling
Attribute scaling is a crucial aspect of Elden Ring’s weapon system, as it determines how well a weapon’s damage output scales with a specific attribute, such as strength, dexterity, intelligence, or faith.
For spears, the most common attributes they scale with are:
- Strength (Str)
- Dexterity (Dex)
- Faith (Fth)
Some spears may also scale with Intelligence (Int) or have unique scaling with other attributes. It’s essential to pay attention to a spear’s scaling attributes and build your character accordingly to maximize its potential.
Best Spears in Elden Ring
Here is a list of some of the best spears in Elden Ring, along with their primary attributes and advantages:
- Serpent Hunter Greatspear: A powerful strength weapon with excellent reach.
- Clayman’s Harpoon: A dex-focused spear with good scaling and damage output.
- Cleanrot Spear: A faith-scaling spear that causes madness buildup.
- Rotten Crystal Spear: A unique spear with a focus on causing status effects.
- Bolt of Gransax: A versatile spear that utilizes the power of dragons for increased damage.
Choosing the best spear for your build depends on your character’s attributes and preferred playstyle. Experiment with different options to find the spear that suits you best.
How to Acquire Top Spears
Acquiring the best spears in Elden Ring typically involves exploration, defeating bosses, or purchasing them from vendors. Here’s a brief overview of where to find some of the top spears:
- Serpent Hunter Greatspear: Acquired by defeating the Serpent Hunter boss.
- Clayman’s Harpoon: Found in a chest in the Sunken Cave area.
- Cleanrot Spear: Obtained by completing a questline involving Malenia’s bravest knights.
- Rotten Crystal Spear: Located in the Rotten Winged Sword Insignia area.
- Bolt of Gransax: Acquired by defeating the Dragon boss in the Ancient Dragon’s Lair.
Keep in mind that some spears may be challenging to obtain, so it’s essential to explore the game world and complete various quests to discover them.
Ashes of War and Spear Enhancement
In Elden Ring, the Ashes of War system allows you to customize your weapons by imbuing them with unique abilities or modifying their scaling attributes. You can use Ashes of War to enhance your spears, making them even more powerful and versatile in combat.
For example, you can use Ashes of War to skew a spear’s scaling towards strength or dexterity, or imbue it with elemental damage or status effects like poison, bleed, or madness.
Experiment with different Ashes of War to find the perfect combination for your preferred playstyle and build.
PvP Strategies with Spears
Spears can be highly effective in player-versus-player (PvP) combat when used correctly. Their long reach and quick thrusting attacks make them ideal for keeping opponents at a distance while dealing consistent damage.
To excel in PvP with a spear, consider the following strategies:
- Use the spear’s range to your advantage by maintaining distance from your opponent and poking them with quick attacks.
- Utilize Ashes of War to add elemental damage or status effects to your spear, making it more challenging for opponents to counter.
- Be unpredictable with your attack patterns, mixing up light and heavy attacks to keep your opponent guessing.
Remember that practice makes perfect, so keep honing your skills with spears in PvP to become a formidable opponent.
What attributes should I focus on for a spear build in Elden Ring?
For most spear builds, you should focus on strength, dexterity, and faith. Some spears may also benefit from intelligence scaling, so it’s crucial to pay attention to each spear’s unique scaling attributes.
Which Elden Ring spear is best for a strength-focused build?
The Serpent Hunter Greatspear is an excellent option for a strength-focused build, as it is one of the few spears that scale primarily with strength.
Are spears suitable for PvP in Elden Ring?
Yes, spears can be quite effective in PvP when used correctly. Their long reach and quick thrusting attacks make them ideal for keeping opponents at a distance while dealing consistent damage.
How can I enhance my spear with Ashes of War?
To enhance your spear with Ashes of War, visit a blacksmith and select the “Imbue with Ashes” option. You’ll need to have the required Ashes of War in your inventory to customize your spear.
Can I use a spear in combination with magic spells in Elden Ring?
Yes, you can use a spear in combination with magic spells in Elden Ring. Some spears even have innate scaling with intelligence or faith, making them ideal for hybrid builds that focus on both melee combat and spellcasting.